All Environmental Commission meetings will be virtual until further notice.
- 2nd Thursday of the month unless otherwise noted @7:30pm
- Meetings will be joint Hawthorne Environmental Commission/Green Team meetings.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 845 440 3062
Dial by your location (Please use if no access to Zoom meeting software)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 845 440 3062
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Hawthorne Environmental Commission was established in November 1998. Prior to November 1998, there was an Environmental Committee established in the late 1980’s. The Environmental Commission has been able to achieve many accomplishments by protecting and preserving the environment of the Borough of Hawthorne through the following activities:
- Secured grants to help fund environmental projects, such as 8 Acre Woods in Goffle Brook Park and Green Map
- Developed an Environmental Resource Inventory that is used to guide Hawthorne on land use decisions
- Advise municipal planning boards and zoning boards of adjustment about the impacts of development proposals on such issues as flooding and runoff, open space needs, water and air quality, plant and animal habitat and waste disposal
- An Environmental Commissioner seat on the Planning Board to provide recommendations and advice on potential environmental impacts on proposed development
- Monitor upcoming environmental issues and regulations and provide guidance to Municipal Council and Mayor
- Educate and inform residents and students on ways to protect the environment
|Rayna Lynn Laiosa, Chairperson||Term Expires 12/31/24|
|Mary Mahon||Term Expires 12/31/24|
|Michael Mariani||Term Expires 12/31/24|
|Patricia MacDonnell||Term Expires 12/31/23|
|Dawn Zagatta||Term Expires 12/31/23|
|Robert Meier||Term Expires 12/31/23|
|Carol Robertson||Term Expires 12/31/24|
|Lisa DeVos Alt. 1||Term Expires 12/31/22|
|Holly Cowen Alt. 2||Term Expires 12/31/22|
|Dominic Mele, Council Liaison||Term Expires 12/31/22|
Code for Environmental Commission
Chapter 45 of the Code of the Borough of Hawthorne establishes the Environmental Commission pursuant to N.S.J.A. 40:56A-1 et seq. The Commission consists of seven members and two alternate members appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the Borough Council to three-year overlapping terms (two-year terms for alternate members).
Hawthorne Bee Helpers & Winners