Welcome to the Borough of Hawthorne
Search Our Site
Quick Links


How do I obtain a Vote by Mail Ballot?
Passaic County Clerk, 
401 Grand Street, Paterson 
Hawthorne Borough Clerk, 445 Lafayette Ave, Suite 102, Hawthorne 
Vote By Mail Ballot applications must be received by the County Clerk no later than 7 days preceding the election and the Ballot must be returned and reach the County Clerk's Office,  by 8pm on Election Day.

How do I register to vote?
Passaic County Commission of Registration, 501 River Street, Suite 1, Paterson
Hawthorne Borough Clerk, 445 Lafayette Ave, Suite 102, Hawthorne
Voter Registration Form
A new voter must register at least 21 days preceding an election.  The same form is used to update name change or address change.  

Where do I vote?
Search NJ Dept of State

Who are my state, local & county elected officials?

Federal Government 
Senator Robert Menendez                                         
Senator Cory Booker
Congressman William J. Pascrell, Jr.

State of New Jersey
Governor Phil Murphy

Lt. Governor Sheila Oliver
Senator Robert M. Gordon
Assemblyman Timothy J. Eustace
Assemblyman Joseph Lagana      

Passaic County Officials

Hawthorne Borough Government
Richard S. Goldberg, Mayor
Frank Matthews, Council President and Ward 4 Councilman

John Bertollo, Council Vice President and Ward 2 Councilman 
Bruce Bennett, At Large Councilman
John Lane, At Large Councilman
Dominic Mele, At Large Councilman
Garrett Sinning, Ward 3 Councilman
Joseph Wojtecki, Ward 1 Councilman

Hawthorne Board of Education

For addresses and contact information on all elected officials, click here

How do I obtain copies of official municipal records?
Request for copies of Borough records may be made to the
Borough Clerk using a Open Public Records Act request form .   There is a fee for these copies.

How do I obtain a garage sale permit?
Garage sale permit applications  may be submitted to the Borough Clerk .  Only two sales (up to three consecutive days each) may be held by a given household in a given year.  The fee for the first sale is $5; the fee for the second is $10.

How do I obtain a marriage license (or civil union, or domestic partnership)?
Couples wishing to obtain a marriage license, register a domestic partnership or establish a civil union must apply to the 
Register of Vital Statistics.  The fee is $28. 

How do I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate, marriage license, or other vital record?
Records are kept in the municipality where the birth occurred or the other event was recorded, and must be obtained either  from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in that municipality,  OR from the
State of New Jersey. Copies of vital records maintained by Hawthorne may be obtained from the Hawthorne Register of Vital Statistics.  The fee is $5. 

How do I dispose of….. ?
The Borough provides curbside collection of regular household trash, bulky trash, cardboard & recyclable paper, and cans & bottles. For full pickup schedule,
click here. For recycling only, click 2018  In November and December, the Borough collects leaves both loose at the curb, or in bags or barrels.   The Borough operates a recycling center on Ryerson Way off Wagaraw Road (behind the ballfields).   For more specific information on how to dispose of a wide variety of waste and recyclable items, click here

How do I report a missed garbage or recycling pick-up?
For missed pick-ups of garbage and/or recyclables, call the contractors directly as follows:

Garbage: B&B Disposal – 1-877-465-4433
Recyclables & Yard Waste: Gaeta – 973-278-6625
For other questions on garbage or recycling, call (973) 427-5330.

How do I apply for a senior citizens or veterans tax deduction?
If you are a qualified Veteran, Widow of a Veteran, Senior Citizen, Disabled Person, or Surviving Spouse, you may be eligible for deductions which reduce your property tax liability by $250.   The appropriate claim form must me filed with the
municipal assessor.  Veterans must have served during periods specified in state law. A senior citizen must be over 65 as of December 31 of the pre-tax year.  The claimant must be the owner and permanent resident in the dwelling and a legal resident of New Jersey. A surviving spouse must be at least 55 years old and not re-married. 

For more information, visit the NJ Division of Taxation Website

How do I request to have a shade tree trimmed, planted or removed?
Shade Tree Commission has authority for the regulation, planting, care and control of shade and ornamental trees and shrubbery in all municipal parks and on municipal streets.  To request planting, trimming or removal of a tree, please call the Shade Tree Commission line – (973) 427-555 x318.  Decisions on removals will be based on the health of the tree and public safety.

The Commission  has no jurisdiction over trees on private property.  A property owner with concern about a private tree should consult with a Certified Tree Expert or arbor company.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
Police Records Bureau , which maintains all police reports, operates Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm in the municipal building.  Requests for copies of reports can be made during  those hours.  There is a nominal charge for copies. For more information, call (973) 427-1800. 

How, when and where  do I pay a tax or water bill?
Although tax bills are due on a quarterly basis, they are mailed once a year during the summer.  The due dates for each quarter are printed on the payment stubs of the bill, February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1.  Water bills are mailed on a rolling basis, with payment due 30 days from the date of the bill.  Payment may be made in person or by mail to the
Tax Office at 445 Lafayette Avenue 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, weekdays, or after hours, by using the convenient drop box located on the island in the parking lot of the Municipal Building.  For more information, call (973) 427-1242. 

How do I pay a traffic ticket?
Traffic tickets are payable to the Municipal Court by mail or in person to the
Municipal Court office , 445 Lafayette Avenue weekdays from 9 am to 4 pm.  For more information, call  (973) 427-4767.  Payment may also be made via the internet

How do I obtain a certificate of occupancy?
A Certificate of Continuing Compliance issued by the
Building & Zoning Offiice is required for all property sales in the Borough of Hawthorne. This includes residential as well as commercial properties.

A Certificate of Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide Alarm and Fire Extinguisher Compliance issued by the Fire Prevention Office is required for all changes of tenancy within the Borough of Hawthorne.