Who to Contact for Certain Water Problems
- Bad taste or sediment in tap water - Call the 24-hour emergency number.
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report
- Connecting - If you are connecting to the water or sanitary sewer system, there is a $3,000 charge per system. The application form can be filled out in the DPW office on the second floor of the municipal building at 445 Lafayette Avenue
- Estimated bill - Call 973-427-2378 to schedule an appointment for an actual reading or repair.
- High bill - Call 973-427-2378 for an explanation or a meter re-read.
- Leaking meter - Call 973-427-2378 for a replacement at no cost if you already have an outside meter
- Leaking water service - Property owner’s responsibility
- Leaking valve - Homeowner’s responsibility but only the Water Department can turn the water off at the curb. Call 973-427-2378 to schedule a shut off.
- Leaking hydrant or water main in road - Call the 24-hour emergency number.
- Moving? If you are responsible for the water bill you must call 973-427-2378 two business days before the closing or two days before you move to request a final reading. Have the name of the person who will be responsible for the bill after you move when you call.
- Low water pressure? Call 973-427-2378 or, after regular business hours the emergency number 973-427-2501.
There is a cost for certain water service functions.
Borough Ordinance 180 Chapter 220D
Please remember that Borough Ordinance 180 chapter 220D requires the installation of an outside meter (also called a remote) for all homes and some businesses. Call 973-427-2378 if you do not have an outside meter. The size of the meter determines the cost.
Annual Drinking Water Quality Report
View the Annual Drinking Water Quality Report for Hawthorne. Printed Copies can be mailed to you upon request, please call 973-427-2378 to request copies.
Update to Septemebr 2021 Boil Water Advisory
All wells are now back in operation with clearance from the DEP.. Although all necessary actions were taken prior to reactivation of the Rea Avenue well, these actions were completed outside the tieframe dictated by the DEP. See attached Notice for Failure to Correct. There is no current issue with bacteria in the water.
William "Bill" HafflerDirector of Public WorksPhone: 973-427-7707
Ron GonzalezSuperintendent of Public WorksPhone: 973-427-2501
Maureen CookRecycling Coordinator & Administrative CoordinatorPhone: 973-427-8397
445 Lafayette Avenue
Hawthorne, NJ 07506
Phone: 973-427-2378Fax: 973-427-1882Emergency Phone: 973-427-2501